Risks and Solutions: Sports-Related Brain and Spinal Injuries
Risks and Solutions: Sports-Related Brain and Spinal Injuries is an online training module for school administrators, coaches, and others who work with student athletes. It is available 24/7, and defines and clarifies the serious risks and consequences of brain and spinal injuries for student athletes. Trainees will learn the impact of brain and spinal injuries on student athletes; how to recognize the signs of injuries; and how to prevent further injury and allow for recovery.
Trainees will learn:
- What is a concussion?
- Types of concussions
- Acts that can cause a concussion or spinal injury
- Who is most likely to sustain such injuries?
- How brain and spinal injuries can be made worse
- What to do when a brain or spinal injury is sustained
- The liabilities associated with brain and spinal injuries
- How to prevent brain and spinal injuries from becoming worse
Risks and Subjects Covered:
- Student Safety: Trainees learn about brain and spinal injuries with special emphasis on concussions; the signs of concussions; how concussions can lead to death or permanent injury; how trainees need to respond to concussions.
- Liability: Trainees will learn how not responding properly to student brain and spinal injuries cannot not only lead to fatal injuries, but also to legal liability.
- Proper safety practices: Trainees are encouraged to address concussions quickly; to communicate with students, teachers, and parents about concussions; and to work together with parents and caregivers to provide a plan for recovery.
- Loss Prevention: Trainees learn the importance of observation; reporting injuries promptly; enforcing policies; cooperating with parents and health care providers; and refraining from allowing student athletes to return to play too early.
Audience: Administrators, teachers, coaches, and others who work with student athletes
Format: On-demand video, compatible with iOS devices
Length: 18-20 minutes
Trainer Available: Yes. Questions are received and answered via email from McCalmon trainers.
Testing: Yes. Includes a pre- and post-questionnaire of five questions.
Certificate of Completion: Yes
Written Materials: Yes
Interactive Scenarios: Yes
Closed Captioning: Yes
Customization: Yes. The module can be changed to incorporate organizational policies and procedures; state or regulatory statutes, and can be adapted to other languages.
Contact us for pricing or to request a demonstration.